Monday, March 23, 2009

26.2 Miles .......DONE!

I believe it was about 2 years ago while I was living in DC that I watched my friend Jen Green finish the DC National Marathon. It was then that I knew I wanted to start running and someday finish a marathon. Less then a month later Jen helped me make a training schedule to run a half marathon. Less then a month in a half later I ran in my first half marathon and the feeling of accomplishment from setting my mind to it and following through was enough to help me know without a doubt I would run a Marathon. A few months later I was on track to start training for the PF Chang's Rock N Roll in Phoenix that January. Not too long into training I tore my IT Band and couldn't run. Our longest training run had been 14 miles in the beginning of December. Despite that we were registered for the race and my family was coming out plus we had plane tickets already. So.... we decided to give it a go and see if we could do it. Sure enough we did! January 19th, 2008 I crossed the finish line in 5 hours and 5 minutes. The time didn't matter to me ... just that I finished. I had set out to accomplish something and I had finally reached my GOAL. There are no words to describe that feeling.

So.... here I am 2 days after finishing my SECOND MARATHON. How do I feel? Ecstatic, sore, happy, etc. You name it I feel it. For 4 months I stuck to the schedule and did all my runs ( ok i missed 1) long and short. At times I wondered why I was doing it again. The second I crossed the start line and began the race I knew why I suffered for those 4 months. I knew why I had come back to DC to run the National Marathon through a city I love and miss. I love being Focused on the end result. I Love knowing i am in control of my body. I love running in places that bring me peace and comfort. I LOVE TO RUN!

I am already looking for my next Marathon..... gotta beat my time.....again! 4:30 is better then my first but I know I can do better..... and I WILL!

Running has changed my life... I am healthier, stronger ( mentally and physically), more disciplined, more committed , and know I can accomplish anything!


Shels, Rob, Anne, and I before leaving for the Race

Anne, Shels, Rob, and I waiting to check our bags

Same group shot

Megan, Anne, Shels, and I

I love this picture because of the Capitol Building that's glowing in front of us

You can actually see the Capitol better in this pic

"We Did IT" My friend Tom finished a bit before us but we all got to celebrate together

Group Shot... Way to go guys

Me after the race by the finish line( not my time though)

Tom Whitney and I ... Congrats to him for beating 4 hours

Shels and I .... Training and Race Partner

Hooray.... we did it
No idea what we're doing
The Medal
It was cold.... we bundled up with all the extra clothing we had after the race. : )

Shelley and I left the race and headed straight to my favorite mexican restaurant " Rio Grande" I am a little obsessed with this place. Their chips and Salsa are delicioso . Met up with a few friends and ate way more then we should have!

Of course I got home and took my shoes off to see I HAD BLOODY TOES! Not just one this time but 3. : )

2 comments:

Shyla said...

Way to go Cassie. I think that is such a great accomplishment. You have actually inspired me so I am going to run a half in July. We will see how it goes. I am a little nervous well really nervous but I can do it. If you have any tips I would love to hear them.

Melissa Bitton said...

I'm a blog stalker! Just wanted to see how the marathon went! Congrats...YOU ARE AWESOME!